Welcome, Guest. Register Now!

Mark Forums Read View New Posts View Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Default How much do you feed an adult corgi?

Chester is eating 1 1/4 cup kibble twice a day. He just hit 29 pounds and not neutered. Should I increase his food as he gains more weight? Or is best to increase when I fail to see an increase in weight for a week?

When he is neutered next year, will I need to decrease his food amount? Or do I wait to decrease when he gains some weight?

Of course Chester's vote would be more food, more food now!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 PM

I wish there was some set amount that we could tell you, but it really varies so much by dog. Their metabolizim, activity levels, ages, type of food, etc all play such an important part. For the three we have living here right now to maintain their weight (all between ages 1 and 3 now)..

Checkers is 31 lbs at his ideal weight (where he is right now imo) and eats 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day.. total 3 cups daily... plus table scraps.

Gator is 25lbs ideal and gets 1 level cup of food twice a day.... total 2 cups daily. Sometimes he will leave a little bit in the bowl, but eats that amount most days... he also gets table scraps.

Delilah is 20lbs ideal and gets 3/4 cups food twice a day, total 1 1/2 cups per day. She also gets table scraps, but not as many as the boys because her tummy is more sensitive.

So... use your best judgement... evaluate how he feels based on how his ribs feel... you should be able to feel them easily, but not see them.. and he should have a little "waist". If you notice him loosing his waist it might be time to cut back a bit... if you notice his ribs a little too much it's time to increase the food (this happened to Checkers a little while back and we moved him up an extra 1/2 cup daily... worked wonders and now he is right back where he should be). That really is your best guide to how much to feed any dog really... and yes, it is very much a guessing game until he is old enough that his metabolism and growth are established.. and even then you will find it varies some based on activity levels and such still.
& Luna the Cat

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 AM

Link is getting 1 cup 2x a day. Plus backyard grazing. Actually, the apples, pears and berries seem to agree with him and (except for the sugar) are pretty healthy. But the tomatoes are another story. Both dogs get sick on them. Once harvest season is over we'll probably up Link's portion of dog food.

And to contrast, svelte little Millie gets only 1/2 cup 2x day.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers&Gator View Post
I wish there was some set amount that we could tell you, but it really varies so much by dog. Their metabolizim, activity levels, ages, type of food, etc all play such an important part.

So... use your best judgement... evaluate how he feels based on how his ribs feel... you should be able to feel them easily, but not see them.. and he should have a little "waist". If you notice him loosing his waist it might be time to cut back a bit... if you notice his ribs a little too much it's time to increase the food (this happened to Checkers a little while back and we moved him up an extra 1/2 cup daily... worked wonders and now he is right back where he should be). That really is your best guide to how much to feed any dog really... and yes, it is very much a guessing game until he is old enough that his metabolism and growth are established.. and even then you will find it varies some based on activity levels and such still.
You have explained it exactly as I understand it too Cheryl. It seems to be somewhat of a quessing game, at least until they are full grown. When I asked my Vet about the amount to feed Danny last week, he also holds to the 'rib test'.

To make matters more confusing the info on the food bags is only a guideline that they warn varies by 25%. His food info on the bag itself says he should be getting 1 3/4 cup per day. The brochure says 2 1/4 - 3 1/2c per day. And the website says 2 - 3 3/4c per day. Very confusing.

I'm giving Danny 3/4c three times a day with 1/2c reserved for using as his training treats. A wee bit of pumpkin, yogurt, chicken etc.

Montrose and Dylan both eat the same food, Dylan gets 3/4c twice a day, and Montrose 1/2c twice a day.

With that the adults also get a variety of either sardine, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, cranberries, green beans, etc, with their dinner.

And I have been wondering, those of you with pups, how long to you continue to feed 3 meals a day?

Thanks for starting this thread Merrie, it's something that I have been thinking a lot about lately.

MOTCH Cidels Danny Boy
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

You can't really compare amounts if you are comparing different brands of kibble. I think it's best to use the amount recommended on the bag depending on the age - adult VS puppy and feed to the weight the dog should be. I have found depending on the amount of exercise the dog gets that it can be a little more than what is suggested. But as Barbara said it also depends on what else you are feeding. Mine get canned food added for flavour, pumpkin and yoghurt plus treats during the day.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'm giving Danny 3/4c three times a day with 1/2c reserved for using as his training treats. A wee bit of pumpkin, yogurt, chicken etc.

Montrose and Dylan both eat the same food, Dylan gets 3/4c twice a day, and Montrose 1/2c twice a day.

With that the adults also get a variety of either sardine, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, cranberries, green beans, etc, with their dinner.
That's nearly exactly what I feed Bubba. I feed him twice per day around 3/4c of kibble in the morning with 1 Tbsp organic yogurt and in the evening, another 3/4c to a Tbsp pumpkin and maybe throw in some green beans or chicken and a tsp of the Missing Link Plus. Sometimes I'll add cottage cheese with Wellness canned food and steam broccoli stems. I probably offer too many treats during the day or evening as he's picked up 1/2 pound(not bad) since I brought him home three months ago today. He now weighs 36.5 pounds. I think he could stand to loose down to 32 pounds but, with the inactivity during the day, I'd have to cut back to 1/2 cup and lesser treats since he's not an exercise buff.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVons View Post
Chester is eating 1 1/4 cup kibble twice a day. He just hit 29 pounds and not neutered. Should I increase his food as he gains more weight? Or is best to increase when I fail to see an increase in weight for a week?

When he is neutered next year, will I need to decrease his food amount? Or do I wait to decrease when he gains some weight?

Of course Chester's vote would be more food, more food now!
As others have said there is no set amount. Here my dogs get from 3/4 cup to 2 cups per day depending on the dog. All are adults.

Adjust his food up or down depending on how he looks. Don't worry about a specific number till he's mature. Go by his looks and feel. Ribs should be able to be felt but not have to be searched for. Like Cheryl says he should have a waist.

He may or may not increase in weight each week. As they near 6 mos. the growth rate decreases so you shouldn't be looking for steady weight gains any more. Just go by how he looks and how he feels.

Peggy
Utah Corgi Rescue
mailto:taflar@allwest.net,taflarpwc@yahoo.com
Old 10-14-2007, 02:16 PM

My dogs are moving out! They really get a raw deal here....

Tuck and Lulu get about 1/2 cup 2 times a day + occasional treats.

Yesterday we went on a 4 mile hike and when they got gome they split an apple then each got cheese in a small Kong.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and a shaker of salt and call me over!

Quote:
Think globally. Act doggedly. (Planet Dog)
Quote:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
Tucker

Lulu
Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 AM

After makinig that last post, I was thinking that I hadn't weighed Bubba in two weeks and might ought to do that. I weighed him yesterday and he has went from 36.5 to 40.8 pounds in two weeks!! For certain, this evening we're cutting back to 1/2 cup from 3/4 cup and cutting out quite a few snacks. I'm bad about over feeding anyway and dish out the treats like they have zero calories without making changes to his next meal. I though he looked a little more pudgy than usual.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Awww Bubba, I feel your pain!

David, be prepared to be looked at as if you are starving him to death!!!!! My two, even immediately after they have cleaned their bowls, look at me as if to say "where's the main course?".

Susan

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and a shaker of salt and call me over!

Quote:
Think globally. Act doggedly. (Planet Dog)
Quote:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
Tucker

Lulu