Welcome, Guest. Register Now!

Mark Forums Read View New Posts View Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Riding in Cars with Corgis

What's the best way to transport a corgi in a car? I've heard using a crate is the best way, or clipping them into the back seat with a harness of sorts...what do you guys do? We go to the dog park a lot and I know it's unsafe to have him just bouncing around in the car.

Thanks gang!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM

We just bought Mac a car harness from Dr Foster and Smith... it's like a doggie seatbelt. The harness has a seatbelt attached to it that clips into the "female" end of the seatbelt in your car. It's comfy, he's perfectly happy wearing it!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The harness has a seatbelt attached to it that clips into the "female" end of the seatbelt in your car.
Hmmmm you learn something everyday!

I am a very bad Dog Mom. Bopping around town the dogs are either in the back of the station wagon with a gate between them and the back seat or even sometimes.... sitting together in the front passenger seat. I know all the horror stories.... Bad doggie Mom!

When we are going more than a few miles or get on the interstates, then they ride in their big crate wedges into the back end of the wagon.

Jackie has a wonderful car seat. WOuld love to know more.... hint, hint, hint....

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and a shaker of salt and call me over!

Quote:
Think globally. Act doggedly. (Planet Dog)
Quote:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
Tucker

Lulu
Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Ours are always in harnesses and clipped in. Even a sudden stop can send a corgi flying...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandybadger View Post
What's the best way to transport a corgi in a car? I've heard using a crate is the best way, or clipping them into the back seat with a harness of sorts...what do you guys do? We go to the dog park a lot and I know it's unsafe to have him just bouncing around in the car.
The safest way is in a crate. Mine ride in crates. (Well, most of the time, I'll have to admit that on a rare occasion I let one ride free.)

If a dog is in a crate, if you're in an accident the dog is confined. If the car is opened he's not loose and can't escape from the car. The dog can be transported safely to a shelter or vet. If they need to get you out of the car your dog is not in the way or protecting you.

Peggy
Utah Corgi Rescue
mailto:taflar@allwest.net,taflarpwc@yahoo.com
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Here's my car seat, and Jessica bought the same one after she saw my posted photos:

There is a hook that attaches to their harness or collar that keeps them in the bed. The seat doesn't go anywhere either, the belt holds it in place. It's advertised as the safest car restraint for dogs(important to us since we survived a horrific rollover and numerous flip accident a few years back), and it's great for very long drives, which we have made many of(and I'm talking 10+ hours). It's the fullsize Lookout, and it's big, I keep an extra large puppy pad under an oversized towel in case of any accidents(Miss Gambler does have a sensitive tummy and has been sick in the car)that way the cover never has to be removed and washed, just the towel. It takes up 3/4 of the middle seat in the SUV. Mojo has a little red stroller, handle goes down and seatbelt goes through back and it becomes a seat. She has to be restrained and zipped up!

Last edited by MissGambler's+Mojo'sMommy; 10-30-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Mine are either harnessed in or have their leashes attached to the seatbelt buckled in. I have been looking for something else and found this at a dog show on Saturday - you can clip the dogs leash or harness to it. They never ride in the front seat - the airbag could easily kill them in a minor accident.

http://www.doggieduffle.com/
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jespah View Post
They never ride in the front seat - the airbag could easily kill them in a minor accident.
Deb - can you please explain this to Rhys??
Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

He needs to take the driver training course where they scare the poop out of you with those crash movies!! I saw them 30 years ago and they still scare me!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

Deb, I've seen things like that at Petco and such, and in magazines. The benefit is that they don't ever get on the car seat.